Dislocated Worker Program FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Dislocated Worker Program?

The North Central Wisconsin Dislocated Worker Program helps individuals reenter the workforce after a layout or business closure. The program provides a variety of career services typically provided our of the local Job Center.

Who is eligible?

Individuals who have been laid off due to downsizing or closure. Individuals should contact their local Job Center and register for the WIOA Dislocated Worker Resources Workshop to discuss their individual situation.

Is there a cost to Join?

There is no cost to attend the workshop or to receive any of the career services. The program is funded through the North Central Wisconsin Workforce Development Board utilizing federal funding from the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act.

Can the Dislocated Worker Program help with training to get a new job?

Yes! There are funds available to help you upgrade your skills. Once determined eligible, a Dislocated Worker Career Planner will help you develop an Employment Plan to meet your goals.

Can the Dislocated Worker Program help to start my own business?

Yes! The Dislocated Worker Program can access a variety of career services, including entrepreneurial resources to develop a business plan. Your situation will be assessed to determine what services are available to meet your needs. We cannot. however, provide capital to start new businesses.

I’m worried about getting a new job that paid as much as my old one. How can you help?

The Dislocated Worker staff will provide you with current Labor Market Information and will guide you to higher paying occupations based on your interests. Your career planner will work with you to develop a personal marketing plan to optimize your wage potential.

Can I attend school and collect Unemployment Insurance (UI) at the same time?

Once you become a participant in the WIOA Dislocated Worker Program and your career planner has approved your training plan, then you will be able to request a training waiver from Unemployment Insurance. The UI training waiver will allow you to collect your UI benefits and attend training under either a part-time or full-time status while you are in training.

Are you the same as Unemployment Insurance and Job Service?

The WIOA Dislocated Worker Program does not provide a monetary service, and is a separate program from Unemployment Insurance and Job Service. However, we work as partners in providing a variety of career services out of the local Job Center.

What are Support Services?

Support Services are one of the many career services offered through the Dislocated Worker Program. Common support services may include transportation and child care assistance to attend approved activities while enrolled in the Dislocated Worker Program. Your case manager will work with you to determine if you qualify for support services.

What services does the Dislocated Worker Program offer?

Assessment of career interest, abilities and skills, career exploration workshops, resume and interviewing assistance, training, support services, and job placement assistance

How do I sign up?

You can begin the process for accessing services as soon as you have received your notice of layoff/business closure. Your first step is to attend a Worker Resource Workshop. At this workshop you will learn more about the available career services, and more about specific eligibility requirements. contact your local job center to register.

Job Center Location

Wisconsin Rapids Job Center: 715-422-5000

Marathon County Job Center: 715-261-8700

Northern Advantage Job Center: 715-363-1500

Adams County Job Center: 608-339-9559

Marshfield County Job Center: 715-363-1500

What other services does the Job Center offer?

Labor market information

Job seeking skills workshops

Computer skills assessments and classes

To see the full array of services visit www.jobcenterofwisconsin.com

Don’t get left behind, visit your local Job Center for your next career!